Friday, May 1, 2009

Fablehaven Fever


Have you caught it yet? It's alive and thriving at our house...we're talking "Fablehaven Fever" here.

Brandon Mull is a fairly new and upcoming author, and is gaining momentum in the world of children's literature. His Fablehaven series is hooking new readers right and left! My kidlets were introduced to his books a year ago, and my 5th grader, especially has caught the fever. We had the opportunity just recently to meet him for the second time, and he is just the nicest, most down-to-earth guy with a fantastic imagination! (We got to participate in a book signing in THE cutest book store I've ever been to, called "All Tucked In". I felt like I had walked into the movie set of, "You've Got Mail".) You can see in the photo, that we were in a bit of a hurry to snap the shot, and Little Missy wasn't cooperating so much, which is why her head got cut off. (My chidlers are those on the left, and our neighbor friend on the right.)

But, anyway, if you have reluctant (or avid) readers in your house, or you're just up for some fun reading for yourself (I love a good escape from reality now and then, don't you?), I highly recommend his books! Just when I can't imagine how anyone else can create a story line with magic, mythical creatures, and good vs. evil, I am surprised again.

My great friend and comrade, Kris, over at JesseKate Designs, actually blogged about Brandon Mull this week as well (I guess our great minds are thinking alike this week! lol) and she had the opportunity to attend a writer's conference with her daughter and heard him speak. She shared with us his 5 secrets for becoming an author. Click HERE to read what she had to say. It's great information for our kiddos, but applicable to us all! (Her site is darling, by the way, and chuck full of fun info. You will love it!)

So, it's a rainy day here in my neck of the woods...perfect for getting lost in a book! What books do you love in your family?

6 comments:

  1. Our babysitter started reading the first book to the kids. The next day Justin asked if I could go to the store and have Brittnay watch them so she could read some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I heard he'll be at the AF Costco this Saturday?? I love his books and can't wait to read the fourth one!

    I LOVE "Alice the Fairy" by David Shannon. I love all his books really,and his illustrations make me laugh my head off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of him until I read the post from Kris! Looks like a fun time! I love the little bookstore in "You've Got Mail"!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought Stephen the latest Fablehaven book for Easter. When I think about all the money I've spent on books for my children, I'm betting I could have hired a laundry and ironing service. But at least they are highly intelligent, imaginative children -- right?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to keep telling ourselves, that Jacq! Our sanity...their intelligence...it's a toss up! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cute picture with the author! And what a FUN bookstore! I've never heard of it before. I'm going to go check it out. Every city should have such a fun "get-away" for kids and their books! :) And thanks for the "shout-out" as well! You are too nice! It truly was a treat to meet Brandon Mull. It will be a highlight that my daughter will remember for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Needle in a Haystack Designs.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.