Monday, March 7, 2011

The Value of Being Wrong...


So much is on my mind this morning, but this quote that I have tacked up in my closet keeps rattling around inside my brain. It's one of those that gives me courage to step out of my comfort zone that is, well...so very safe and comfortable.

"If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with something original."
-Sir Ken Robinson

Do you love that? Being original or creative takes on many forms, doesn't it? Such as how we discipline and teach our children; how we make something enticing for supper; decorating our living space to make it more homey; throwing a birthday party on a budget; keeping the romance alive in marriage; how to get the mundane household tasks done when you'd rather not; how to stretch the dollar; teaching kids responsibility and family unity....the list could go on and on, couldn't it?

When faced with the need to take action, I find that I am often tepid at the risk of making mistakes, dread the possibility of rocking the boat, and have a fear of being wrong which at times paralyzes me so that in fact, I do nothing at all. Do you ever find yourself in that situation? I'm desperately trying to get out of that boat. This quote reminds me of the benefits of taking risks and making mistakes.

I think it's a healthy way of thinking to teach our kids (and ourselves) that mistakes are inevitable and acceptable, and often necessary (think Thomas Edison). The challenge is to learn from them and go forward with our new-found insight. The end result will often be far from where we started, but without a doubt, so much better.

(And do you love the light bulb vases? How darling are they? Finding that photo was my ode to Thomas Edison, and some creative person took some risks to apply something totally original to his invention. How very clever. Love it.)

So best wishes to you all for a courageous week. May we all find a way to take action, get out of our comfort zones, take some risks, and create something original...even if it requires being wrong at some point along the way.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I need the reminder to be willing to take risks (in parenting particularly) even if it means my kids will freak out or remind me of things I used to do that didn't work or roll their eyes every time I try something new!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed By Aqua Poppy Designs for Needle in a Haystack Designs.
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved.